You are here

Electric cars will have little effect on electricity prices

An electrification of the car fleet in Norway in line with the authorities' plans will only require 3.6 per cent of  the electricity consumption in 2030 and will have little effect on electricity prices.

This is evident from model calculations carried out by Institute of Transport Economics and the Frisch Centre. In a recent report, they have modeled a number of scenarios:

One scenario addresses the objectives in the national budget for 2019. Here it is assumed that 75 per cent of all new passenger cars in 2030 will be battery-electric while the remaining 25 per cent will be rechargeable hybrids. Such electrification will thus not require more than 3.6 per cent of Norways electricity consumption, and to a very small extent affect electricity prices in 2030.

Read more in the English report summary.  
An analysis of the increasingly closer relationship between the transport and electricity sectors in Norway.  TØI report 1803/2020 Authors:  Paal Brevik Wangsness, Sverre A.C. Kittelsen, Christian Steinsland, Finn Roar Aune, Eric Nævdal



Gaustadalléen 21
0349 Oslo, Norway

Phone: +47 22 57 38 00